Ask me what makes an assistant excellent. Even if you are not asking, I am going to tell you. The one quality an assistant needs to be excellent is the ability to listen. Let me sum it up for you in 5 easy steps:
- Step 1 - Listen: When your boss is talking (or when anyone is talking) LISTEN. Don't think, just listen.
- Step 2 - Listen: Hear words being repeated, a certain emphasis on a group of words. LISTEN you are being told what's important; what's needed.
- Step 3 - Listen: Listen and look for mannerisms. You'll get to know who it is you are communicating with and understand their language..
- Step 4 - Listen: Listen and repeat the needs you have heard. Then listen to the response.
- Step 5 - Listen: Practice listening not for what you want to hear, but for what are the needs. Needs correctly understood are easier to address.